Sunday, August 14, 2011

On the Morrow

In the midst of our deepest yearning to be freed from a heavy burden, a perpetual trial, or a unyielding veil of darkness that won't seem to dissipate, we plead with the Lord to hear our prayers and grant us his mercy and demonstrate his power in our lives.  We know that he can.  We know that he will.  Yet oftentimes we wait and wait and do not see His divine help.  We continue to pray and plead but that affliction remains.  Our faith shakes, our doubt creeps in.  Days turn to months and even months to years.  Yet we are not forgotten nor forsaken, not one minute, not one second.

The Lord calls out to us in His loving and inviting way, "Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you..."  {Mosiah 24:16}

On the morrow.  When is my morrow, you may ask?  When will your tomorrow come that will set you free from whatever it is that weighs on you?

Waiting is the hardest part for me, but that is my testing ground.  How will I wait?  Will I be so preoccupied with the fact that I want the solution now and I know how it should go, that I waste the time given to me to really seek out the solution and will of God? Will I become resentful, angry, bitter, and doubtful that I am really even on the Lord's radar?  Will I separate myself from any form of the love of God so as not to be reminded that I must trust, that He sees me as capable of such a burden?

I have fallen into every one of these traps.  Sometimes just for moments at a time and unfortunately sometimes days and weeks.  There have even been times in my life when even longer.

Immediately proceeding this promise of "On the Morrow", God instructs us how we are to wait.  This scripture was read to me at the most difficult trial of my life up to that point, a time when I knew what the will of the Lord was to be, I was going to obey, but I sure wasn't going to be happy about it.

Here is how we are to wait for our 'morrow':
"submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."  {Mosiah 24:15}

This is our challenge friends, maybe not the burden or trial itself, but what we do while we wait to be free from it.  I pray with all my heart that I "submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

I have seen many 'morrows': miracles, deliverances, and answers to prayers.  Lately our family has been blessed with tremendous blessings all at once.  Answers that have come from waiting months and some even years for answers to our prayers.  We have been provided with a new place to live since this home we are renting has been sold.  It just so happens to be next door to my parents!  Mike has been offered a new job, one which will lend him a better opportunity for a healthy lifestyle and optimal use of his talents and skills.  He has also been given a new opportunity to serve in our church that will increase his capacity to influence and help others with his tremendous example of faith and work.  Such blessings and others unnamed have become our 'morrow'.  We have truly been delivered by the plan of an omniscient Father in Heaven and by the redeeming power of our Savior Jesus Christ.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...